Scott hosts "Far from 'settled': How can we protect the rights of vulnerable EU citizens after Brexit?"
27 January 2020
Today Scott Ainslie MEP hosted his final London-based event as an MEP - Far from 'settled': How can we protect the rights of vulnerable EU citizens after Brexit?
The event, held at Amnesty International UK, was targeted at organisations and individuals who wanted to learn more about the EU Settlement Scheme - including how you can help to ensure vulnerable EU citizens secure their new status to remain in the UK.
Scott was joined by a panel of lawyers, campaigners and policy experts including:
- Alexandra Bulat - Young Europeans Chair, the3million
- Christopher Desira - Director, Seraphus
- Caitlin Boswell-Jones -EEA National Project Officer, Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants
- Jean Lambert - London's Green MEP from 1999-2019
- Bethan Lant - Casework and Advocacy Manager, Praxis
The discussion touched on issues including the biggest problems with the EU Settlement Scheme, whether comparisons to the Windrush crisis are justified, how we can ensure that vulnerable groups don't slip through the net, and what we can do to ensure that EU citizens' rights are protected in years to come.
The discussion was followed by a lively Q&A, and an opportunity to discuss these issues further with the speakers over coffee and cake.
Find photos of the day below.